Thanks for resurrecting this topic David!

After our discussions at the June meetup I had intended to create an
account with Discourse for the Solr project using their free for open
source hosting <https://free.discourse.group/>. Unfortunately, I became ill
for an extended period and that endeavor went on the back-burner. I'm
fairly recovered now and still interested in helping, if desired.

Initially, I was going to set up the account using my email address and
then transfer it to an official Solr address once it had been set up. In
light of the universe's recent reminder of my mortality I would want to see
it start off using an official email address. If someone with an official
account wants to create the account and add me as an admin once it is set
up, I'm happy to assist. Or if there is a generic account I can be given
access to, I'm happy to perform the setup myself.

I liked your idea of running the two systems in parallel and syncing
between them. I spent some time today researching how this could be
accomplished and from what I've seen it appears theoretically possible but
practically quite difficult. Folks have expressed interest in doing it but
I found no successful implementations.

What is fairly straightforward is:

1. Importing
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/migrate-a-mailing-list-to-discourse-mbox-listserv-google-groups-etc/79773>
the existing mailing list archives
2. Setting up an ongoing, read-only sync
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/continuing-to-run-mailman-and-discourse-using-the-exact-email-addresses-as-mailman-in-parallel/217854/5>
of new mailing list messages to Discourse.

This reduces some fragmentation - forum users would be aware of all
discussions - but mailing list users would miss out on forum messages.

Alternatively, we could make a hard cut over to Discourse, setting
us...@solr.apache.org to be ingested by Discourse. Along with an import of
all the existing messages this would ensure that all discussions were
occurring through a single channel. We'd have to use the mailing list mode
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-mailing-list-mode/46008> to force
Discourse to send all the messages to all subscribers if we wanted to
imitate the mailing list behavior.

This could be done for a short period but I'd recommend against doing it
long-term as it recreates one of the main weaknesses of mailing lists - a
lack of scalability. Mailing lists work well with small groups but as the
size of the group increases the volume of messages increases until it
becomes impossible to manage. Users could still enable mailing list mode
for their personal accounts if they desired to receive all the messages
long-term.

Jan, regarding your suggestion that we not rule GitHub Discussions out -
I'm not strongly opposed to GHD. I agree that most Solr users are likely
developers but I also hope that this won't always be the case and that is
why I haven't been wholeheartedly in favor of GHD. I feel like GHD would
limit Solr long-term or would force another migration as Solr grew beyond
its developer-centric roots.