On 10/18/2023 10:11 AM, Tomasz Elendt wrote:
I noticed that JDK 21 LTS was released some time ago. Is there any reason why
official docker images still use JDK 17?

I'm asking because I know there are some preview JDK features that Lucene
utilizes and Solr enables them when it detects a newer version (e.g.
SOLR-16500).

Does it make sense to switch now that there is a new LTS version?

I have no desire to stand in the way of progress, but Java 21 has only been out for a month. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on a new major version of *anything* that soon after its release. Test with it, but don't switch to it.

I do not think we should be planning on such a major upgrade to the docker image until Java 21 has been out for a while. I was going to upgrade my Solr server to Java 21 to try it out since it's not a mission critical install, but Ubuntu doesn't yet have OpenJDK packages for it. The eclipse-temurin:21-jre-jammy docker image was pushed 11 days ago.

My thought on it is to wait until at least the release of Java 22, which will happen six months after Java 21 was released.

Thanks,
Shawn