> >> There are a few usefull additions/fixes in 3.4 trunk which won't ever
> >> get backported and it would be a pity to have to wait
>
> Why not back port the few features/fixes?

diff -U2 sa-3.3 sa-3.4 | (cd sa-3.3; patch)

  :)

Seems to me the 3.4 (trunk) is being much better tested by
active  developers than a backport-patched 3.3.x would ever be.
The only need for 3.3.3 would arise if some important security
fix or large breakage like the Y2010 bug would pop up.

> If there are no (or few) major changes, why not do the backports.  They
> should be trivial.  Has the branch really drifted that far out of sync
> with trunk?

There are lots of small changes all over the place.
We probably already lost track of all that has changed.

Daryl writes:
> I'm quite uncomfortable with that myself, however I haven't written a
> lot of code for SA in the past couple of years myself.  I do think
> efforts should be placed on regular review of patches against stable
> branches instead.

To me it makes most sense to create a 3.4 branch at the time of a release
or shortly before it. So I'm closer to Kevin on this than with Daryl.

  Mark