I agree that it will be good to see more algorithms added to the MLlib
universe, although this does bring to mind a couple of comments:

- MLlib as Mahout.next would be a unfortunate.  There are some gems in
Mahout, but there are also lots of rocks.  Setting a minimal bar of
working, correctly implemented, and documented requires a surprising amount
of work.

- Not getting any signal out of your data with an algorithm like K-means
implies one of the following: (1) there is no signal in your data, (2) you
should try tuning the algorithm differently, (3) you're using K-means
wrong, (4) you should try preparing the data differently, (5) all of the
above, or (6) none of the above.

My $0.02.
-- Paul

—