This is a false error message actually - the Maven build no longer
requires SCALA_HOME but the message/check was still there. This was
fixed recently in master:

https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/d8c005d5371f81a2a06c5d27c7021e1ae43d7193

I can back port that fix into branch-1.0 so it will be in 1.0.1 as
well. For other people running into this, you can export SCALA_HOME to
any value and it will work.

- Patrick