Hey Andrew,

I think you are correct and a follow up to SPARK-2521 will end up
fixing this. The desing of SPARK-2521 automatically broadcasts RDD
data in tasks and the approach creates a new copy of the RDD and
associated data for each task. A natural follow-up to that patch is to
stop handling the jobConf separately (since we will now broadcast all
referents of the RDD itself) and just have it broadcasted with the
RDD. I'm not sure if Reynold plans to include this in SPARK-2521 or
afterwards, but it's likely we'd do that soon.

- Patrick