Hi Larry,

GraphX's graph constructor leaves the edges in their original partitions by
default. To support arbitrary multipass graph partitioning, one idea is to
take advantage of that by partitioning the graph externally to GraphX
(though possibly using information from GraphX such as the degrees), then
pass the partitioned edges to GraphX.

For example, if you had an edge partitioning function that needed the full
triplet to assign a partition, you could do this as follows:

val unpartitionedGraph: Graph[Int, Int] = ...val numPartitions: Int = 128
def getTripletPartition(e: EdgeTriplet[Int, Int]): PartitionID = ...
// Get the triplets using GraphX, then use Spark to repartition
themval partitionedEdges = unpartitionedGraph.triplets
  .map(e => (getTripletPartition(e), e))
  .partitionBy(new HashPartitioner(numPartitions))
val partitionedGraph = Graph(unpartitionedGraph.vertices, partitionedEdges)

A multipass partitioning algorithm could store its results in the edge
attribute, and then you could use the code above to do the partitioning.

Ankur <http://www.ankurdave.com/>