Yeah, we can't/won't post MapR binaries on the ASF web space for the
release. However, I have been linking to them (at their request) with
a clear identifier that it is an incompatible license and a 3rd party
build.

The only "vendor specific" build property we provide is compatibility
with different Hadoop FileSystem clients, since unfortunately there is
not a universally adopted client/server protocol. I think our goal has
always been to provide a path for using "ASF Spark" with
vendor-specific filesystems. Some vendors perform backports or
enhancements... and this of course we would never want to manage in
the upstream project.

In terms of vendor support for this approach - In the early days
Cloudera asked us to add CDH4 repository and more recently Pivotal and
MapR also asked us to allow linking against their hadoop-client
libraries. So we've added these based on direct requests from vendors.
Given the ubiquity of the Hadoop FileSystem API, it's hard for me to
imagine ruffling feathers by supporting this. But if we get feedback
in that direction over time we can of course consider a different
approach.

- Patrick