Zongheng pointed out in my SPARK-3329 PR
(https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/2220) that Aaron had already fixed this
issue but that it had gotten inadvertently clobbered by another patch.  I don't
know how the project handles this kind of problem, but I've rewritten my
SPARK-3329 branch to cherry-pick Aaron's fix (also fixing a merge conflict and
handling a test case that it didn't).

The other weird spurious testsuite failures related to orderings I've seen were
in "DESCRIBE FUNCTION EXTENDED" for functions with lists of synonyms (e.g.
STDDEV).  I can't reproduce those now but will take another look later this
week.

best,
wb