Hello,

I'm interested in reading/writing parquet SchemaRDDs that support the Parquet
Decimal converted type. The first thing I did was update the Spark parquet
dependency to version 1.5.0, as this version introduced support for decimals in
parquet. However, conversion between the catalyst decimal type and the parquet
decimal type is complicated by the fact that the catalyst type does not specify
a decimal precision and scale but the parquet type requires them.

I'm wondering if perhaps we could add an optional precision and scale to the
catalyst decimal type? The catalyst decimal type would have unspecified
precision and scale by default for backwards compatibility, but users who want
to serialize a SchemaRDD with decimal(s) to parquet would have to narrow their
decimal type(s) by specifying a precision and scale.

Thoughts?

Michael