Hadoop, for better or worse, depends on an ancient version of Jetty
(6), that is even on a different package. So Spark (or anyone trying
to use a newer Jetty) is lucky on that front...

IIRC Hadoop is planning to move to Java 7-only starting with 2.7. Java
7 is also supposed to be EOL some time next year, so a plan to move to
Java 7 and, eventually, Java 8 would be nice.

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd also wait a bit until these are gone. Jetty is unfortunately a much
> hairier topic by the way, because the Hadoop libraries also depend on Jetty.
> I think it will be hard to update. However, a patch that shades Jetty might
> be nice to have, if that doesn't require shading a lot of other stuff.
>
> Matei
>
>> On Oct 18, 2014, at 4:37 PM, Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> wrote:
>>
>> my experience is that there are still a lot of java 6 clusters out there.
>> also distros that bundle spark still support java 6
>> On Oct 17, 2014 8:01 PM, "Andrew Ash" <and...@andrewash.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Spark devs,
>>>
>>> I've heard a few times that keeping support for Java 6 is a priority for
>>> Apache Spark.  Given that Java 6 has been publicly EOL'd since Feb 2013
>>> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html> and the last
>>> public update was Apr 2013
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history#Java_6_updates>, why
>>> are we still maintaing support for 6?  The only people using it now must be
>>> paying for the extended support to continue receiving security fixes.
>>>
>>> Bumping the lower bound of Java versions up to Java 7 would allow us to
>>> upgrade from Jetty 8 to 9, which is currently a conflict with the
>>> Dropwizard framework and a personal pain point.
>>>
>>> Java 6 vs 7 for Spark links:
>>> Try with resources
>>> <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/2575/files#r18152125> for
>>> SparkContext et al
>>> Upgrade to Jetty 9
>>> <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/167#issuecomment-54544494>
>>> Warn when not compiling with Java6
>>> <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/859>
>>>

>>> Who are the people out there that still need Java 6 support?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Andrew

Marcelo