Here's a crude benchmark on a Linux box (GCE n1-standard-4). zinc gets
the assembly build in range of SBT's time.

mvn -DskipTests clean package
15:27
(start zinc)
8:18
(rebuild)
7:08

./sbt/sbt -DskipTests clean assembly
5:10
(start zinc)
5:11
(rebuild)
5:06

The dependencies were already downloaded, and the whole build was
cleaned in between.

These are smallish in comparison with time to run tests. I admit I
didn't run them here in the interest of time and because I assumed
zinc doesn't help that.