Hi Alessandro,

MLlib v1.1 supports variance for regression and gini impurity and entropy
for classification.
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/mllib-decision-tree.html

If the information gain calculation can be performed by distributed
aggregation then it might be possible to plug it into the existing
implementation. We want to perform such calculations (for e.g. median) for
the gradient boosting models (coming up in the 1.2 release) using absolute
error and deviance as loss functions but I don't think anyone is planning
to work on it yet. :-)

-Manish