Thanks Michael, you are correct.

I also opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4702 -- if
someone can comment on why this might be happening that would be great.
This would be a blocker to me using 1.2 and it used to work so I'm a bit
puzzled. I was hoping that it's again a result of the default profile
switch but it didn't seem to be the case

(ps. please advise if this is more user-list appropriate. I'm posting to
dev as it's an RC)