I get what you are saying. But getting exactly once right is an extremely hard
problem - especially in presence of failure. The issue is failures can happen
in a bunch of places. For example, before the notification of downstream store
being successful reaches the receiver that updates the offsets, the node fails.
The store was successful, but duplicates came in either way. This is something
worth discussing by itself - but without uuids etc this might not really be
solved even when you think it is.

Anyway, I will look at the links. Even I am interested in all of the features
you mentioned - no HDFS WAL for Kafka and once-only delivery, but I doubt the
latter is really possible to guarantee - though I really would love to have
that!

Thanks, Hari