Dear Spark developers,

I am trying to measure the Spark reduce performance for big vectors. My
motivation is related to machine learning gradient. Gradient is a vector that
is computed on each worker and then all results need to be summed up and
broadcasted back to workers. For example, present machine learning applications
involve very long parameter vectors, for deep neural networks it can be up to
2Billions. So, I want to measure the time that is needed for this operation
depending on the size of vector and number of workers. I wrote few lines of
code that assume that Spark will distribute partitions among all available
workers. I have 6-machine cluster (Xeon 3.3GHz 4 cores, 16GB RAM), each runs 2
Workers.

import org.apache.spark.mllib.rdd.RDDFunctions._
import breeze.linalg._
import org.apache.log4j._
Logger.getRootLogger.setLevel(Level.OFF)
val n = 60000000
val p = 12
val vv = sc.parallelize(0 until p, p).map(i => DenseVector.rand[Double]( n ))
vv.reduce(_ + _)

When executing in shell with 60M vector it crashes after some period of time.
One of the node contains the following in stdout:
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO:
os::commit_memory(0x0000000755500000, 2863661056, 0) failed; error='Cannot
allocate memory' (errno=12)
#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (malloc) failed to allocate 2863661056 bytes for
committing reserved memory.

I run shell with --executor-memory 8G --driver-memory 8G, so handling 60M
vector of Double should not be a problem. Are there any big overheads for this?
What is the maximum size of vector that reduce can handle?

Best regards, Alexander

P.S.

"spark.driver.maxResultSize 0" needs to set in order to run this code. I also
needed to change "java.io.tmpdir" and "spark.local.dir" folders because my /tmp
folder which is default, was too small and Spark swaps heavily into this
folder. Without these settings I get either "no space left on device" or "out
of memory" exceptions.

I also submitted a bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-5386