Hi all,

In Spark, we have done reasonable well historically in interface and API
design, especially compared with some other Big Data systems. However, we
have also made mistakes along the way. I want to share a talk I gave about
interface design at Databricks' internal retreat.

https://speakerdeck.com/rxin/interface-design-for-spark-community

Interface design is a vital part of Spark becoming a long-term sustainable,
thriving framework. Good interfaces can be the project's biggest asset,
while bad interfaces can be the worst technical debt. As the project scales
bigger and bigger, the community is expanding and we are getting a wider
range of contributors that have not thought about this as their everyday
development experience outside Spark.

It is part-art part-science and in some sense acquired taste. However, I
think there are common issues that can be spotted easily, and common
principles that can address a lot of the low hanging fruits. Through this
presentation, I hope to bring to everybody's attention the issue of
interface design and encourage everybody to think hard about interface
design in their contributions.