I'd be surprised of BIDMat+OpenBLAS was significantly faster than
netlib-java+OpenBLAS, but if it is much faster it's probably due to data
layout and fewer levels of indirection - it's definitely a worthwhile
experiment to run. The main speedups I've seen from using it come from
highly optimized GPU code for linear algebra. I know that in the past Canny
has gone as far as to write custom GPU kernels for performance-critical
regions of code.[1]

BIDMach is highly optimized for single node performance or performance on
small clusters.[2] Once data doesn't fit easily in GPU memory (or can be
batched in that way) the performance tends to fall off. Canny argues for
hardware/software codesign and as such prefers machine configurations that
are quite different than what we find in most commodity cluster nodes -
e.g. 10 disk cahnnels and 4 GPUs.

In contrast, MLlib was designed for horizontal scalability on commodity
clusters and works best on very big datasets - order of terabytes.

For the most part, these projects developed concurrently to address
slightly different use cases. That said, there may be bits of BIDMach we
could repurpose for MLlib - keep in mind we need to be careful about
maintaining cross-language compatibility for our Java and Python-users,
though.

- Evan

[1] - http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.5402
[2] - http://eecs.berkeley.edu/~hzhao/papers/BD.pdf