well, perhaps I overstated things a little, I wouldn't call it the
"official" solution, just a recommendation in the never-ending debate (and
the recommendation from folks with their hands on scala itself).

Even if we do get this fixed in scaladoc eventually -- as its not in the
current versions, where does that leave this proposal?  personally I'd
*still* prefer java enums, even if it doesn't get into scaladoc.  btw, even
with sealed traits, the scaladoc still isn't great -- you don't see the
values from the class, you only see them listed from the companion object.
 (though, that is somewhat standard for scaladoc, so maybe I'm reaching a
little)