Hi Ted,
Not sure what's the config value, I'm using s3n filesystem and not s3.

The error that I get is the following:
(so does that mean it's 4 retries?)

 Caused by: org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage
failure: Task 2 in stage 0.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task
2.3 in stage 0.0 (TID 11, ip.ec2.internal): java.net.UnknownHostException:
mybucket.s3.amazonaws.com
        at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:178)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(SSLSocketImpl.java:618)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>(SSLSocketImpl.java:451)
        at
sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(SSLSocketFactoryImpl.java:140)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.SSLProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(SSLProtocolSocketFactory.java:82)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.ControllerThreadSocketFactory$1.doit(ControllerThreadSocketFactory.java:91)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.ControllerThreadSocketFactory$SocketTask.run(ControllerThreadSocketFactory.java:158)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

*Romi Kuntsman*, *Big Data Engineer*
 http://www.totango.com