we also launch jobs programmatically, both on standalone mode and
yarn-client mode. in standalone mode it always worked, in yarn-client mode
we ran into some issues and were forced to use spark-submit, but i still
have on my todo list to move back to a normal java launch without
spark-submit at some point.
for me spark is a library that i use to do distributed computations within
my app, and ideally a  library should not tell me how to launch my app. i
mean, if multiple libraries that i use all had their own launch script i
would get stuck very quickly.... hadoop jar vs spark-submit vs kiji launch
vs hbase jar.... bad idea, i think!

however i do understand the practical reasons why spark-submit can about...