I think it would be good to have more basic operators like union or
difference, as long as they have an efficient distributed implementation
and are plausibly useful.

If they can be written in terms of the existing GraphX API, it would be
best to put them into GraphOps to keep the core GraphX implementation
small. The `mask` operation should actually be in GraphOps -- it's only in
GraphImpl for historical reasons. On the other hand, `subgraph` needs to be
in GraphImpl for performance: it accesses EdgeRDDImpl#filter(epred, vpred),
which can't be a public EdgeRDD method because its semantics rely on an
implementation detail (vertex replication).

Ankur <http://www.ankurdave.com/>