I don't get this rule. It is arbitrary, and does not seem like something
that should be enforced at the foundation level. By this reasoning, are we
not allowed to list "source code management" on the project public page as
well?

The download page clearly states the nightly builds are "bleeding-edge".

Note that technically we did not violate any rules, since the ones we
showed were not "nightly builds" by the foundation's definition: "Nightly
Builds are simply built from the Subversion trunk, usually once a day.".
Spark nightly artifacts were built from git, not svn trunk. :)  (joking).