> On 24 Sep 2015, at 21:11, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, but the ASF's reading seems to be clear:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
> "In LICENSE, add a pointer to the dependency's license within the
> source tree and a short note summarizing its licensing:"
>
> I'd be concerned if you get a different interpretation from the ASF. I
> suppose it's OK to ask the question again, but for the moment I don't
> see a reason to believe there's a problem.

Having looked at the notice, I actually see a lot more thorough that most ASF
projects.

in contrast, here is the hadoop one:

---
This product includes software developed by The Apache Software
Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
---

regarding the spark one, I don't see that you need to refer to transitive
dependencies for the non-binary distros, and, for any binaries, to bother
listing the licensing of all the ASF dependencies. Things pulled in from
elsewhere & pasted in, that's slightly more complex. I've just been dealing
with the issue of taking an openstack-applied patch to the hadoop swift object
store code -and, because the licenses are compatible, we're just going to stick
it in as-is.

Uber-JARs, such as spark.jar, do contain lots of classes from everywhere. I
don't know the status of them. You could probably get maven to work out the
licensing if all the dependencies declare their license.

On that topic, note that marcelo's proposal to break up that jar and add
lib/*.jar to the CP would allow codahale's ganglia support to come in just by
dropping in the relevant LGPL JAR, avoiding the need to build a custom spark
JAR tainted by the transitive dependency.

-Steve