I am not sure of others, but I had a PR close from under me where
ongoing discussion was as late as 2 weeks back.
Given this, I assumed it was automated close and not manual !

When the change was opened is not a good metric about viability of the
change (particularly when it touches code which is rarely modified;
and so will merge after multiple releases).

Regards,
Mridul