From: Kazuaki Ishizaki [mailto:ishiz...@jp.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 7:52 PM
To: dev@spark.apache.org
Subject: Support off-loading computations to a GPU

Dear all,

We reopened the existing JIRA entry
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3785to support off-loading
computations to a GPU by adding a description for our prototype. We are working
to effectively and easily exploit GPUs on Spark at
http://github.com/kiszk/spark-gpu. Please also visit our project page
http://kiszk.github.io/spark-gpu/.

For now, we added a new format for a partition in an RDD, which is a
column-based structure in an array format, in addition to the current
Iterator[T] format with Seq[T]. This reduces data serialization/deserialization
and copy overhead between CPU and GPU.

Our prototype achieved more than 3x performance improvement for a simple
logistic regression program using a NVIDIA K40 card.

This JIRA entry (SPARK-3785) includes a link to a design document. We are very
glad to hear valuable feedback/suggestions/comments and to have great
discussions to exploit GPUs in Spark.

Best Regards,
Kazuaki Ishizaki