I finally figured out the problem: it seems that my *export
JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java8/home* was somehow not affecting the javac
executable that Zinc's SBT incremental compiler uses when it forks out to
javac to handle Java source files. As a result, we were passing a -source
1.8 flag to the platform's default javac, which happens to be Java 7.

To fix this, I'm going to modify the build to just prepend $JAVA_HOME/bin
to $PATH while setting up the test environment