On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Mark Hamstra <m...@clearstorydata.com>
wrote:

... My concern is that either of those options will take more resources
> than some Spark users will have available in the ~3 months remaining before
> Spark 2.0.0, which will cause fragmentation into Spark 1.x and Spark 2.x
> user communities. ...

It's not as if everyone is going to switch over to Spark 2.0.0 on release
day anyway. It's not that unusual to see posts on the user list from people
who are a version or two behind. I think a few extra months lag time will
be OK for a major version.

Besides, in my experience if you give people more time to upgrade, they're
just going to kick the can down the road a ways and you'll eventually end
up with the same problem. I don't see a good reason to *not* drop Java 7
and Scala 2.10 support with Spark 2.0.0. Time to bite the bullet. If
companies stick with Spark 1.x and find themselves missing the new features
in the 2.x line, that will be a good motivation for them to upgrade.

~Daniel Siegmann