I think the main things are API things that we need to get right.

- Implement essential DDLs https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-14118
 this blocks the next one

- Merge HiveContext and SQLContext and create SparkSession

- Separate out local linear algebra as a standalone module without Spark
dependency https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-13944

- Run Spark without assembly jars (mostly done?)

Probably realistic to have it in ~ 2 weeks.