> Are you suggesting to have shuffle service persist and fetch data with
hdfs, or skip shuffle service altogether and just write to hdfs?

Skip shuffle service altogether.  Write to HDFS.

Mesos environments tend to be multi-tenant, and running the shuffle service
on all nodes could be extremely wasteful.  If you're running a 10K node
cluster, and you'd like to run a Spark job that consumes 100 nodes, you
would have to run the shuffle service on all 10K nodes out of band of Spark
(e.g. marathon).  I'd like a solution for dynamic allocation that doesn't
require this overhead.

I'll look at SPARK-1529.

--
Michael Gummelt