On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I think LimitedPrivate gets a bad rap due to the way it is misused in
> Hadoop. The use case here -- "we offer this to developers of
> intermediate layers; those willing to update their software as we
> update ours"

I think "LimitedPrivate" is a rather confusing name for that. I think
Reynold's first e-mail better matches that use case: this would be
"InterfaceAudience(Developer)" and "InterfaceStability(Experimental)".

But I don't really like "Developer" as a name here, because it's
ambiguous. Developer of what? Theoretically everybody writing Spark or
on top of its APIs is a developer. In that sense, I prefer using
something like "Library" and "Application" instead of "Developer" and
"Public".

Personally, in fact, I don't see a lot of gain in differentiating
between the target users of an interface... knowing whether it's a
stable interface or not is a lot more useful. If you're equating a
"developer API" with "it's not really stable", then you don't really
need two annotations for that - just say it's not stable.

--
Marcelo