On 05/26/2016 02:38 AM, Matei Zaharia wrote:
> Just wondering, what is the main use case for the Docker images -- to
> develop apps locally or to deploy a cluster?
I use docker images for both development and deploying on production
cluster. As it makes sure I have the correct version of Java and Spark.
If the image is really just
> a script to download a certain package name from a mirror, it may be
> okay to create an official one, though it does seem tricky to make it
> properly use the right mirror.
I don't think that's an issue, as you will publish a docker image which
will already have spark baked from which ever mirror you choose. The
mirror issue will be only when people want to build their own image from
published Dockerfile, then they can change the mirror if they prefer.

Here is the link to current Spark Dockerfile
(https://gist.github.com/gurvindersingh/8308d46995a58303b90e4bc2fc46e343)
I use as base, then I can start master and worker from it as I like.

- Gurvinder