On 2016-06-04 18:42 (-0400), Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> The question is, can you just not fully release it? I don't think so,
> even as a matter of process, and don't see a good reason not to.
>
> To Reynold's quote, I think that's suggesting that not all projects
> will release to a repo at all (e.g. OpenOffice?). I don't think it
> means you're free to not release some things to Maven, if that's
> appropriate and common for the type of project.
>
> Regarding risk, remember that the audience for Maven artifacts are
> developers, not admins or end users. I understand that developers can
> temporarily change their build to use a different resolver if they
> care, but, why? (and, where would someone figure this out?)
>
> Regardless: the 2.0.0-preview docs aren't published to go along with
> the source/binary releases. Those need be released to the project
> site, though probably under a different /preview/ path or something.
> If they are, is it weird that someone wouldn't find the release in the
> usual place in Maven then?
>
> Given that the driver of this was concern over wide access to
> 2.0.0-preview, I think it's best to err on the side openness vs some
> theoretical problem.

The mere fact that there continues to be repeated pushback from PMC
members employed by DataBricks to such a reasonable and easy question to
answer and take action on for the benefit of all the project's users
raises red flags for me.

Immaterial of the actual motivations of individual PMC members, this
still gives the *appearance* that DataBricks as an organization
effectively exercises a more than healthy amount of control over how the
project operates in simple, day-to-day manners.

I strongly urge everyone participating in Apache Spark development to
read and take to heart this required policy for Apache projects:

  http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence

- Shane, speaking as an individual

(If I were speaking in other roles I hold, I wouldn't be as polite)