It's strange for me, that having and support fat jar was never a important
thing. We have next scenario - we have big application, where spark is just
another library for data processing. So we can not create small jar and
feed it to spark scripts - we need to call spark from application. And
having fat jar as maven dependency is perfect. We have some spark installed
on cluster(whatever cloudera put there), but often we need to patch spark
for our needs, so we need to bring everything with us. Different
departments use different spark versions - so we can not share jars on
cluster easily. Yep, there are some disadvantages, but flexibility of
changing spark process and deploying overcome these disadvantages.

So we probably would patch pom's as usual to create fat jar.

--

*Sincerely yoursEgor Pakhomov*