1.6.2 RC seems fine to me; I don't know of outstanding issues. Clearly
we need to keep the 1.x line going for a bit, so a bug fix release
sounds good,

Although we've got some work to do before 2.0.0 it does look like it's
within reach. Especially if declaring an RC creates more focus on
resolving the most important blocker issues -- and if we do burn those
down before 2.0.0 -- this sounds like a good step IMHO.