The patch we use in production is for 1.5. We're porting the patch to master
(and downstream to 2.0, which is presently very similar) with the intention of
submitting a PR "soon". We'll push it here when it's ready:
https://github.com/VideoAmp/spark-public.

Regarding benchmarking, we have a suite of Spark SQL regression tests which we
run to check correctness and performance. I can share our findings when I have
them.

Cheers,

Michael