I agree -- Wenchen/Reynold do you know what's the theory there?

TBH I think that there has not been a 'real' release candidate yet.
It's not that big a deal if these first two have been speculative RCs
to get more feedback earlier for a major release, and that in fact
people want to let this bake somewhat longer that the RC would imply.
As long as it's converging towards fewer, more critical changes.

Excepting these merges I think that had been generally happening. It's
*mostly* critical stuff now. But yeah this won't actually get released
until blockers are resolved and merges slow down to what belongs in a
maintenance branch.