Hmm, perhaps I'm the one who's confused. 🤔

I thought the person in the linked discussion expected Hadoop itself (i.e.
the full application, not just the jars) to somehow be included, but
rereading the discussion I may have just misinterpreted them.

The Hadoop jars packaged with Spark just allow Spark to interact with
Hadoop, or allow it to use the Hadoop API for interacting with systems like
S3, right? If you want HDFS, MapReduce, etc. you're obviously not getting
that in those Spark packages.

Maybe this was already clear to those users and I just injected some
confusion into the discussion.

Nick