Are there any existing JIRAs covering the possibility of serving up Spark
ML models via, for example, a regular Python web app?

The story goes like this: You train your model with Spark on several TB of
data, and now you want to use it in a prediction service that you’re
building, say with Flask <http://flask.pocoo.org/>. In principle, you don’t
need Spark anymore since you’re just passing individual data points to your
model and looking for it to spit some prediction back.

I assume this is something people do today, right? I presume Spark needs to
run in their web service to serve up the model. (Sorry, I’m new to the ML
side of Spark. 😅)

Are there any JIRAs discussing potential improvements to this story? I did
a search, but I’m not sure what exactly to look for. SPARK-4587
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4587> (model import/export)
looks relevant, but doesn’t address the story directly.

Nick
​