Yes it works fine, though each iteration of the parallel init step is
slow indeed -- about 5 minutes on my cluster. Given your question I
think you are actually 'hanging' because resources are being killed.

I think this init may need some love and optimization. For example, I
think treeAggregate might work better. An Array[Float] may be just
fine and cut down memory usage, etc.