Github already links to CONTRIBUTING.md. -- of course, a lot of people
ignore that. One thing we can do is to add an explicit link to the wiki
contributing page in the template (but note that even that introduces some
overhead for every pull request).

Aside from that, I am not sure if the other suggestions in the JIRA ticket
are necessary. For example, the issue with creating a pull request from one
branch to another is a problem, but it happens perhaps less than once a
week and is trivially closeable. Adding an explicit warning there will fix
some cases, but won't entirely eliminate the problem (because I'm sure a
lot of people still don't read the template), and will introduce another
overhead for everybody who submits the proper way.

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Should we just link to
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Contributing+to+Spark
>

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM -0700, "Hyukjin Kwon" <gurwls...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> Thanks for confirming this, Sean. I filed this in
>
> I would appreciate if anyone who has a better writing skills better than
> me tries to fix this.
>
> I don't want to let reviewers make an effort to correct the grammar.
>

> On 10 Oct 2016 1:34 a.m., "Sean Owen" <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's really CONTRIBUTING.md that's more relevant, because github
>> displays a link to it when opening pull requests. https://github.com/a
>> pache/spark/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md  There is also the pull request
>> template: https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/.githu
>> b/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE
>>
>> I wouldn't want to duplicate info too much, but more pointers to a single
>> source of information seems OK. Although I don't know if it will help much,
>> sure, pointers from README.md are OK.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> I just noticed the README.md (https://github.com/apache/spark) does not
>>> describe the steps or links to follow for creating a PR or JIRA directly. I
>>> know probably it is sensible to search google about the contribution guides
>>> first before trying to make a PR/JIRA but I think it seems not enough when
>>> I see some inappropriate PRs/JIRAs time to time.
>>>
>>> I guess flooding JIRAs and PRs is problematic (assuming from the emails
>>> in dev mailing list) and I think we should explicitly mention and describe
>>> this in the README.md and pull request template[1].
>>>
>>> (I know we have CONTBITUTING.md[2] and wiki[3] but it seems pretty true
>>> that we still have some PRs or JIRAs not following the documentation.)
>>>
>>> So, my suggestions are as below:
>>>
>>> - Create a section maybe "Contributing To Apache Spark" describing the
>>> Wiki and CONTRIBUTING.md[2] in the README.md.
>>>
>>> - Describe an explicit warning in pull request template[1], for
>>> example, "Please double check if your pull request is from a branch to a
>>> branch. In most cases, this change is not appropriate. Please ask to
>>> mailing list (http://spark.apache.org/community.html) if you are not
>>> sure."
>>>
>>> [1]https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/.github/PULL_
>>> REQUEST_TEMPLATE