I think the main value is in being honest about what's going on.  No
one other than committers can cast a meaningful vote, that's the
reality.  Beyond that, if people think it's more open to allow formal
proposals from anyone, I'm not necessarily against it, but my main
question would be this:

If anyone can submit a proposal, are committers actually going to
clearly reject and close proposals that don't meet the requirements?

Right now we have a serious problem with lack of clarity regarding
contributions, and that cannot spill over into goal-setting.