Hi,

I just looked through Jacek's page and I believe that is the correct way.

That seems to be a Hadoop library specific issue[1]. Up to my
knowledge, winutils and the binaries in the private repo
 are built by a Hadoop PMC member on a dedicated Windows VM which I believe
are pretty trustable.
This can be compile from the source. If you think it is not reliable and
not safe, you can go and build it by your self.

I agree it would be great if there are documentation about this as we have
a weak promise for Windows[2] and
I believe it always require some overhead to install Spark on Windows.
FWIW, In case of SparkR, there are some
documentation [3].

For bundling it, it seems even Hadoop itself does not include this in their
releases. I think documentation would be
enough.

For many JIRAs, at least I am resolving it one by one.

I hope my answer is helpful and makes sense.

Thanks.

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/WindowsProblems
[2]
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/f3a3fed76cb74ecd0f46031f337576ce60f54fb2/docs/index.md