I think I understand. Partition pruning for the case where
spark.sql.hive.convertMetastoreParquet is true was not added to Spark until
2.1.0. I think that in previous versions it only worked when
spark.sql.hive.convertMetastoreParquet is false. Unfortunately, that
configuration gives you data decoding errors. If it's possible for you to write
all of your data with Hive, then you should be able to read it without decoding
errors and with partition pruning turned on. Another possibility is running
your Spark app with a very large maximum heap configuration, like 8g or even
16g. However, loading all of that partition metadata can be quite slow for very
large tables. I'm sorry I can't think of a better solution for you.

Michael