I believe that if we ran the Jenkins builds with Java 8 we would catch
these? this doesn't require dropping Java 7 support or anything.

@joshrosen I know we are just now talking about modifying the Jenkins jobs
to remove old Hadoop configs. Is it possible to change the master jobs to
use Java 8? can't hurt really in any event.

Or maybe I'm mistaken and they already run Java 8 and it doesn't catch this
until Java 8 is the target.

Yeah this is going to keep breaking as javadoc 8 is pretty strict. Thanks
Hyukjin. It has forced us to clean up a lot of sloppy bits of doc though.