      De : Katherine Prevost <k...@hypatian.org>
 À : Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>; Katherine Prevost <prevo...@cert.org>
Cc : dev@spark.apache.org
 Envoyé le : Mercredi 16 août 2017 11h55
 Objet : Re: Questions about the future of UDTs and Encoders

I'd say the quick summary of the problem is this:
The encoder mechanism does not deal well with fields of case classes (you must
use builtin types (including other case classes) for case class fields), and
UDTs are not currently available (and never integrated well with built-in
operations).
Encoders work great for individual fields if you're using tuples, but once you
get up over four or five fields this becomes incomprehensible. And, of course,
encoders do nothing for you once you are in the realm of dataframes (including
operations on fields, results of dataframe-based methods, and working in
languages other than Scala.)
The sort of machinations I describe below are unpleasant but not a huge deal
for people who are trained as developers... but they're a much bigger mess when
we have to provide these interfaces to our data scientists. Yes, they can do
it, but the "every address is a string and you have to use these functions that
parse the strings over and over again" approach is easier to use (if massively
inefficient).
I would like to improve Spark so that we can provide these types that our data
scientists need to use *all the time* in a way that's both efficient and easy
to use.
Hence, my interest in doing work on the UDT and/or Encoder mechanisms of Spark
(or equivalent, if something new is in the works), and my interest in hearing
from anybody who is already working in this area, or hearing about any future
plans that have already been made in this area.

In more detail: