From: Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM
To: "Tayyebi, Ameen" <tayye...@amazon.com>
Cc: Apache Spark Dev <dev@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: A new external catalog

On 13 Feb 2018, at 19:50, Tayyebi, Ameen
<tayye...@amazon.com<mailto:tayye...@amazon.com>> wrote:

The biggest challenge is that I had to upgrade the AWS SDK to a newer version
so that it includes the Glue client since Glue is a new service. So far, I
haven’t see any jar hell issues, but that’s the main drawback I can see. I’ve
made sure the version is in sync with the Kinesis client used by
spark-streaming module.

Funnily enough, I'm currently updating the s3a troubleshooting doc, the latest
version up front saying

"Whatever problem you have, changing the AWS SDK version will not fix things,
only change the stack traces you see."

https://github.com/steveloughran/hadoop/blob/s3/HADOOP-15076-trouble-and-perf/hadoop-tools/hadoop-aws/src/site/markdown/tools/hadoop-aws/troubleshooting_s3a.md

Upgrading AWS SDKs is, sadly, often viewed with almost the same fear as guava,
especially if it's the unshaded version which forces in a version of jackson.

Which SDK version are you proposing? 1.11.x ?