@legal-discuss, brief recap:

In Spark's test source code and release, there are some JAR files which
exist to test handling of JAR files. Example: TestSerDe.jar in
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/sql/hive/src/test/resources/data/files

Justin raises the legitimate question: these don't belong in a source
release, do they?

My operating theory had been that they are more like binary blobs w.r.t.
Spark, like a test JPEG or data file, and are not the compiled version of
any test code in Spark. They need to exist in order to run the tests from a
source release. So it's not quite a case of shipping compiled Spark code in
a source release.

I can imagine three opinions:

1) It's OK.
2) It's OK, but you need to include the source code to even those test JAR
files somewhere
3) It's not fine, and the toolchain has to separately build these from
source first automatically

I found https://markmail.org/thread/nf3lsdy5m3c3ovbr on legal-discuss
previously, which seems to incline towards 2.

I'm also inclined towards 2, as 3 is probably relatively tricky in practice
even though that's a nice-to-have.

I'd welcome opinions on this one.

Sean