We made Scala 2.11 as default Scala version in Spark 2.0. Now, the next Spark
version will be 3.0, so it's a great time to discuss should we make Scala 2.12
as default Scala version in Spark 3.0.

Scala 2.11 is EOL, and it came out 4.5 ago; as a result, it's unlikely to
support JDK 11 in Scala 2.11 unless we're willing to sponsor the needed work
per discussion in Scala community,
https://github.com/scala/scala-dev/issues/559#issuecomment-436160166

We have initial support of Scala 2.12 in Spark 2.4. If we decide to make Scala
2.12 as default for Spark 3.0 now, we will have ample time to work on bugs and
issues that we may run into.

What do you think?

Thanks,

DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc