The bucket feature is designed to only work with data sources with table
support, and currently the table support is not public yet, which means no
external data sources can access bucketing information right now. The
bucket feature only works with Spark native file source tables.

We are working on adding table support to data source v2, and we should
have a good story about bucket when it's done.